[ Cornish tin and copper mining. ] Four original maps and plans, two with stamp of Henderson & Son, Truro, Cornwall: Great Wheal Busy Limited, St Blazey Consols Engine, Penhalls, Trevaunance Coombe. With printed graph of international tin market.

Author: 
Great Wheal Busy Limited (Chacewater Mine), Gwennap, Cornwall; St Blazey Consols Engine; Penhalls, St Agnes; Trevaunance Coombe; Henderson & Son, Civil & Mining Engineers, Truro; W. Tregoning Hooper
Publication details: 
Two items with stamp of Henderson & Son, Civil Engineers, Truro, Cornwall; one of them dated 31 March 1885. Another item from around 1910, and another from 1941.
£1,600.00
SKU: 16435

All five items rolled up. ONE: Cloth-backed map. Title in large coloured fancy letters at head: 'PLAN OF TREVAUNANCE COOMBE'. Dimensions: 99 x 353 cm (3 1/4 feet x 11 1/2 feet). 'Scale | 4 FATHOMS TO 1 INCH'. Oval stamp of Henderson & Son, Civil Engineers, Truro, in bottom right-hand corner, with manuscript date 31 March 1885. Drawn in black ink, and coloured in blue, grey, brown and red. In fair condition, aged and worn. Striking and attractive, with neat lettering, fancy compass (with projected line marked 'MAGNETIC | 1881'), and ruled border with decorative corners. Beneath title, in capitals: 'We hereby certify that the correct boundary between the estate of Goonlaze on the east and the estates of Chytodden, Trevaunance, and other properties on the west is shown on this plan by the dotted line marked thus - - - - thereon | Signed the 22nd day of April 1885 by'. The autograph signatures of four representatives of various estates follow, beginning with 'G. C. Hancock for self and Joshua Sydney Tavey and John Charles Williams Esquires owners of 17/60th of Goonlaze, and for the Owners of Trevanaunce and 11/24ths of Chytodden'. Goonlaze to north and Chytodden to south, with Fgenys and Tywarnhayle Tyas to south-east. G. C. Hancock's property and 'Foundry' indicated at Goonlaze and 'Golden Lion P. H.' at Trevaunance. Trevaunance Cove is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and a Geological Conservation Review site of national importance for the two principal ore-bearing mineral veins. TWO: Map drawn on paper, backed with cloth. Title: 'GREAT WHEAL BUSY UNITED. | (TIN & COPPER MINES).' Scale 1/1000. Dimensions: 98 x 67 cm. In black ink, coloured in pink and blue. Oval stamp in bottom right-hand corner of Henderson & Son, Civil & Mining Engineers, Truro. Cross-section, featuring: Wheal Seymour Shaft, William's Shaft, Engine Shaft, Offord's Shaft, Fieldings Shaft, Tonkin's Shaft, the last four joining a diagonal Fieldings Shaft, through Main Lode, Winters Lode and 'Elvan'. On aged paper, with wear to extremities. The site of the mine is now part of the Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape World Heritage Site. THREE: Plan drawn on paper, with parts lightly coloured in grey and pink. Title: 'ST. BLAZEY CONSOLS ENGINE | SCALE ½ IN = 1 PT.' Dimensions: 52 x 75 cm. Aged and discoloured, with wear to extremities. Showing the engine in its brick house. Signed in pencil in bottom right-hand corner by 'Wm Tregoning Hooper 27-12-1941' (Cornish antiquary and a founder of the Cornish Engines Preservation Society). 'The Par & St Blazey Consols' or 'South Prideaux Wood' was a small tin mine just north of the St Blazey. FOUR: Title: Plan drawn on paper. 'PENHALLS MINE | PARISH OF ST AGNES | CORNWALL | LONGITUDINAL SECTION'. Scale: '32 FATHOMS = 1 INCH'. Dimensions: 56 x 111 cm. On aged and discoloured paper, with wear and short closed tears to extremities. To the east of the mine is shown the Blue Hills Mine, with the Polberro Mine to the west, and the Revaunce Mine to the west of that. The complex arrangement of tunnels beneath the Penhalls Mine's three shafts (Western Shaft, Engine Shaft, Flat Rod Shaft) are shown; together with the shafts of the other three mines. On the western border of the Penhalls Mine estate, in a valley, is Trevanaunce Coombe. Penhalls was one of several black tin mines in the area of St Agnes. FIVE: Printed 'Diagram shewing the Fluctuations in the Average Price of Tin in the London Market for each Year since 1780'. In bottom right-hand corner: 'Compiled by | Henderson's Limited, | Coal and Mining Engineers'. In bottom left-hand corner: 'Copyright. Entered at Stationers Hall. Reg. No. 55833. | G. O. Anderson del.' 35 x 71 cm, between two lacquered black wood rollers. Printed on shiny paper, and cloth backed. Graph ranging between dates 1780 and 1910, with peaks in red and troughs in green. Peaks explained by 'War with France', 'War with Russia', 'Intense market speculation' and 'First seven months of 1908'. Above the graph is a photograph of 'Henderson's School of Mining, Ltd. | River Street, Truro, Cornwall.'