ABBEY

warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/richardf/public_html/dev/modules/taxonomy/taxonomy.pages.inc on line 33.

The Dublin Magazine. A Quarterly Review of Literature, Science and Art. [Featuring 'Diarmuid and Grania. A Play in Three Acts. By George Moore and W. B. Yeats. Now first printed with an introductory note by William Becker'.]

Author: 
Seumas O'Sullivan, editor [George Moore; W. B. Yeats]
Publication details: 
April-June 1951. [Printed by Alex. Thom & Co. Ltd., Dublin.]
£20.00

4to, x + 64 pp. In original grey printed wraps. In fair condition: on aged paper, with slightly dog-eared with a little creasing and a couple of short closed tears at rear. In lightly-worn wraps. Becker's introduction to 'Diarmuid and Grania', dated 'Oxford, November, 1950', covers pp.1-4, with the play itself on pp.5-41. This is followed by 'Dramatic Commentary' (not on the play) by A. J. Leventhal on pp.42-44, 'Art Notes' by Edward Sheehy on pp.45-46 and book reviews on pp.47-64.

Autograph Letter Signed ('Le Despencer') to an unnamed correspondent (a neighbouring landowner?).

Author: 
Francis Dashwood (1708-1781), 11th Baron Le Despencer, politician and rake; member of the Hellfire Club; founder of the Monks of Medmenham Abbey
Publication details: 
Hanover Square, London, 5 May 1779
£550.00

4to: 1 p. 15 lines of text. Good, on lightly aged paper, with a light stain affecting but not obscuring a couple of words. Text clear and entire. Docketed on the reverse of the otherwise-blank second leaf of the bifolium.

Official Programme of the State Procession of the Coronation of Her Majesty Queen Victoria.

Author: 
The Coronation of Queen Victoria, 1838 [Sir Henry Dryden of Canons Ashby]
Publication details: 
[1838] 'London: Printed by W. MARSHALL, 24, Tavistock-street, Covent-Garden; Removed from 1, Holborn Bars Printed by E. ELLIOT, 14, Holywell-street, Strand.'
£500.00

On a piece of yellow wove paper roughly 565 x 455 mm. Text and illustrations clear and entire on creased and spotted paper with some wear to extremities. The order of the procession is given in three columns, divided by decorative rules. At the foot is an illustration (120 x 195 mm) of the queen's coach reaching Westminster Abbey, with crowds and a banner reading 'LONG LIVE VICTORIA'.

Autograph Letter, in the third person, to Neale.

Author: 
William George Monckton-Arundell (1782-1834), 5th Viscount Galway [John Preston Neale (1780-1847)]
Publication details: 
20 April 1820; Serlby.
£28.00

4to: 1 p. Thirteen lines of text. Text clear and entire on aged and creased paper. Remains of stub from previous mounting adhering to reverse, and short printed biography tipped in along margin. A formal letter in the third person. Galway is 'extremely [underlined] sorry that he shold have given Mr. Neale so much trouble respecting the eighth Part of Westminster Abbey', which the peer had assumed was missing, but 'finds upon farther examination that it is with the other numbers'.

Autograph Signature ('John Wilkes') on piece of paper.

Author: 
John Wilkes (1725–1797), English whig politician, rake and author; Lord Mayor of London, 1774; supposed member of Dashwood's Hell Fire Club
Publication details: 
Without date or place.
£75.00

Good clear signature on aged and creased paper, 5.5 x 8 cm, with one rough edge and a small triangle torn away from one corner. Glue staining from previous mounting on reverse.

The Troth. A Play in One Act

Author: 
Rutherford Mayne, pseud. [i.e. Samuel Waddell], Irish playwright.
Publication details: 
Dublin : Maunsel & Co., 1909
£125.00

First edition. Original green wraps, title in red, 14pp, 8vo, wraps frayed and sunned (or grubby) at edges, contents good. Scarce: COPAC lists two copies (BL and NLS).

The Turn of the Road. . . A Play in Two Scenes and An Epilogue

Author: 
Rutherford Mayne, pseud. [i.e. Samuel Waddell], Irish playwright.
Publication details: 
Dublin : Maunsel & Co., 1907
£200.00

First edition. Original green wraps, title in red, 14pp, 8vo, wraps partially detached, frayed and sunned (or grubby) at edges, contents good. INSCRIBED by the author: "To Norman Morrow / With the compliments of the Author//". Morrow was a member of a family which involved itself in set design and related ativity for the Ulster Literary Theatre. Scarce: COPAC lists two copies (BL and Trinity, Dublin).

Autograph Letter Signed ('L. P. Hobart-Hampden') to 'Miss <Caste?>'.

Author: 
Lucy Pauline Wright, afterwards the Hon. Mrs Charles Hobart-Hampden [Lucy Hobart-Hampden] (d. 1913), author of 'The Changed Cross'
Publication details: 
21 May 1889; Fonthill Cottage.
£20.00

12mo, 4 pp. Good. A bifolium, attached by a strip along the inner margin to a leaf removed from an autograph album, docketed 'Mrs. Hobart Hampden, Authoress of "The Changed Cross" '. Postscript written vertically across the upper part of the first page. Concerns a photograph of the recipient's mother: a 'sweet souvenir of such a rare & precious jewel as your dear & beautiful Mother; whom we feel it such a privelidge [sic] to see and to know'.

Four Autograph Letters Signed (all 'A. Rutledge Crouch') to the Secretary, Royal Society of Arts.

Author: 
A. Rutledge Crouch, English designer and illustrator
Publication details: 
14, 20 and 28 February and 8 March 1941; all on letterheads of 'Redcot', Rutland Road, Wanstead, Essex.
£120.00

The first three items are 4to, with the first two of two pages and the last of one page, all with a brown border. The fourth item is 12mo, 1 p. The quarto items have some creasing and discoloration to the extremities, and a few closed tears. The 12mo item is good. Text of all four letters clear and entire. The correspondence concerns Crouch's application for membership. He gives the names of individuals who 'have signified their willingness to second' Crouch: Sir William Wayland, M.P.

Autograph Letter in the third person from 'The Countess D[owager] of Craven' to 'Mr. Andrews'.

Author: 
Louisa Craven, Countess Dowager of Craven [Louisa Brunton] (c.1782-1860), English actress
Publication details: 
Croxteth Hall Febry 10th' [no year, but between 1843 and 1844].
£85.00

12mo, 2 pp. Written crosswise on paper with the embossed letterhead of Croxteth Hall. Good, though lightly spotted and with small central spike hole. Folded twice, and a little worn along crease lines. She 'will not trouble him to send any more nos. of "Martin Chuzzlewit" as it has been sent her'. Asks for 'all the numbers which are out of "Combe Abbey" [to be] put by for her, & continued' She is from home where she wishes to have them sent -'. Combe Abbey was a seat of the Earls of Craven, but there is no record of an item on it published around the time of 'Martin Chuzzlewit'.

Autograph Letter Signed ('A. P. Stanley') to unnamed male correspondent.

Author: 
Arthur Penrhyn Stanley (1815-1881), Dean of Westminster
Publication details: 
16 April 1877; Deanery, Westminster.
£45.00

12mo: 2 pp. Thick mourning border. Good. The recipient has provided a partial interlinear transcription of what the New DNB describes as 'Stanley's execrable handwriting'. Stanley is 'much obliged for having [his] attention called to anything in the Abbey Services which requires rectification', and will 'make inquiry into the cause of [his correspondent's] complaint'. The 'inattention [...] will be remedied, so far as the nature of the case admits'.

Autograph Letter Signed to Messrs Wainright & Co., Conduit Street, plate glass mfrs.

Author: 
Benjamin Wyatt.
Publication details: 
Foley Place, 1 Sept. 1826.
£100.00

Architect (DNB). Two pages, 4to, marke and soiled but text clear and complete, laid down by conjugate blank leaf. He accepts their tender for "Plates & crown glass proposed to be furnished . . . to His Royal Highness the Duke of York, subject to " a satisfactory sample to the Clerk of Works "at the Buildings". He asks for prompt delivery of the sample so that the works may proceed immediately . He invites another tender, giving details.

autograph letter signed to W. D. Cooke

Author: 
Lord Cleveland on Battle Abbey, Sussex
Publication details: 
4pp, 8vo, Battle Abbey, 11 November 1869
£100.00

Is not sure whether he can find a ground plan of the Abbey before his alterations, but provides a detailed description of them, e.g. 'I took down some parts which were not old but added by Sir Godfrey Webster, built very badly of brick & cemented over to look like stone, and have rebuilt it of stone with a slight alteration so as to render it more in character'. He refers in detail to the rebuilding of the library 'which is 76 feet long is substantially the same building as the former one erected by Sir Anthony Brown after the dissolution of the monastery and its cession to him'.

Syndicate content